Elevate your planning game with task durations in Todoist. Estimate how much time a task will take to complete, set it as the task’s duration, and get an overview of your commitments for the day. It’s an easy way to manage your time effectively.
Set a task duration
Before jumping in, check if the task has a due date and due time. Then, use either natural language or the scheduler to set the task duration.
Use natural language
In the task name field, enter the due date and due time, followed by the word for and the duration. Use h for hours and m for minutes.
|To get this
Today 21:00 for 2h
Task is scheduled for today at 21:00 with a duration of two hours.
Tomorrow 13:00 for 10m
Task is scheduled for tomorrow at 13:00 with a duration of 10 minutes.
Every Monday at 16:00 for 1h15m
Task is scheduled for every Monday at 16:00 with a duration of one hour and 15 minutes.
Use the scheduler
When adding a task, use the scheduler to set its duration:
- When adding a task click on the Due date chip to open the scheduler.
- At the bottom, click Time.
- Select or type the Time.
- Select or type the Duration.
- Click Save.
Remove a task duration
There are several ways to remove a task's duration.
no due datein the task name field and save the task.
- Remove the task duration while using the task view.
Follow these steps to remove the duration in the task view:
- Click on a task to open the task view.
- To the right of the due time, click on the X.
- To set a task duration, make sure the task always has a due date and a due time.
- The maximum duration time you can set for a task is 24 hours.
- Google Calendar events longer than 24 hours will sync to Todoist, but the task won't have a duration.
The design decision of supporting a maximum of 24 hours is rooted in our philosophy of promoting productivity by breaking tasks into smaller, manageable chunks. We believe that dividing a large, potentially overwhelming project into bite-sized pieces can help maintain motivation and focus, ultimately increasing efficiency.
Todoist doesn’t support start dates that hide your tasks until their start date is due. This would prevent you from easily accessing important task information like comments. By keeping your tasks visible in your projects, you are able to access and manage all their details at any given time.